In the December 2009 issue of Creating Keepsakes, we showed you two beautiful versions of a card by Deena Wuest. One was created traditionally, with paper and ribbon, and the other was created digitally. You'll find instructions for the traditional card on page 81 of that issue, and we're happy to provide instructions for the digital version in this online article.
The computerized version of the card is perfect when you're running low on time-you can create the card once and then print copies for everyone on your holiday-card list. You'll also save time and have more control over your final product when you print your own holiday greetings.
Merry and Bright card by Deena Wuest. Supplies Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2; Patterned paper and ribbon: Christmas Dreams Kit by Mindy Terasawa; Frame: Curled Photo Frames by Katie Pertiet; Fonts: Avant Garde and Steelfish.
To make this sleek card:
1. Open a new 5" x 7" document in your photo-editing software and fill the background with red patterned paper .
2. Select a white photo frame element , and position it in the center of your canvas.
3. Fill the top half of the frame with your photo and the bottom half with a coordinating green-patterned paper. Note: The photo and the paper will need to be two separate layers in your document.
4. Add a tied ribbon on the seam between the two elements.
5. Use the Horizontal Type Tool to add text. (Note: Try alternating the color of text to add interest while keeping the design clean and uncluttered.)
6. Add a small bird embellishment atop your greeting to finish the card.Appeared in: December 2009